Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Weekend

Before arriving in Paris I made a promise to myself that if I wasn't going to travel every weekend I would do something exciting in Paris. Little did I know that upon my arrival in Paris I would never want to leave and would always have something new to try. This weekend was no different. I went to three museums, found new shopping areas and enjoyed delicious food!!

Friday I visited a Rock and Roll exhibition at the Cartier Foundation. It made me very nostalgic for American Pop Culture. It detailed the history of rock and roll from 1939 to 1959. It was really interesting to read newspaper articles from the time and see a snapshot in history. I also ventured to the beautiful Luxembourg Gardens and sat, read, and people watched.

Saturday two friends and I attempted to do some research at the Pompidou Center but forgot it was closed for renovations. We headed to the National Library and sat outside to get some reading done. Then another friend and I headed back to the Museum of Decorative arts (we went with our haute couture class on Thursday) to get a more detailed look at the Gaultier exhibit and to explore more. We saw an interesting exhibit on advertising in multiple countries (so funny to watch old American TV ads - we both almost fainted after hearing Chevy's "Like A Rock" ad...). There is also an extensive collection of French housewares - pottery, furniture, cabinets. We only made it to 3 of the 9 floors but were more than impressed.

Today I woke up early to go with a friend to an open air market. It was much like a farmer's market back home with plenty of vegetables, fruits, cheeses, bread, meats, cooking utensils and random odds and ends. I made a few friends with vendors and got lots of goodies. I can't wait to go back!! Then I met my roommate at the Louvre to show her how to get a student card. I went and looked at a few highlights of the museum. I was a bit disappointed with the Mona Lisa - it's tiny but did enjoy seeing some of the paintings I studied in my art history class.

No comments: