Friday, October 26, 2007

Arc de Triomphe

After a hectic midterm schedule I was excited for my weekly onsite visit with my architecture class. This week we traveled to the Arc de Triomphe. I've only been to see it from the Champs-Elysees but never gone up close. Standing under the arch was memorizing to see its grand size! The soldiers returning from victory must have felt so important walking under the arch (Napoleon had it built to celebrate his victories in war). My teacher explained all the engravings on the pillars and the frieze going around the top of the arch. Lots of references to strength, power and good fortunes! We then climbed the 284 stairs to the top and had the prettiest views of Paris. Too bad it was cloudy and overcast so the view wasn't as spectacular as it could have been. It was still such a site to see!

Our onsite visit also taught me the importance of dressing for the weather. I left my apartment and thought the weather today doesn’t look too bad. Little did I know that once I hopped in the metro and arrived at the Arc de Triomphe the weather would have dropped a few degrees and I would soon be FREEZING. It was so chilly and I was admiring all the snow jackets the other visitors had on. My friend and I were contemplating stealing a girl’s jacket just because it looked so amazingly warm. Who knew a chilly day would have me thinking of committing crimes?!?! Ha but luckily, we warmed up on the metro and stayed close to the heaters the rest of the day!

No comments: