Friday, July 4, 2008

Summer Reading

This summer, since I have so much free time, I joined the Berkeley library. I've been enjoying picking up random books and movies for free to keep me entertained before bed, on the way to work and at random times during the day. My favorites so far have been these three books:
Toast by Nigel Slater - a great memoir about his childhood. Humorous writing style that kept me entertained. Includes memories and how they relate to his favorite childhood foods.
A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle - reminded me vaguely of Julia Child's A Year in France but not so much focus on cooking - more emphasis on enjoying others' fine cooking. Made me crave a trip back to France wandering through Provence. It sounds like the ideal retirement place.
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey - Despite all the drama with Oprah I really enjoyed this book. Part of me wishes it was entirely true to give hope to those trying to overcome addiction. By the end of the book I was totally rooting for James' recovery. Emotional story and a great look into the recovery process.

pictures from amazon.com

No comments: